Sian and Yajaira are back together cooking up a delicious split pea and spam soup submitted to the HI-SEAS recipe contest by Mark Rognstad. They were both pleasantly surprised by how simple and tasty this soup turned out to be.
1 lb split peas
1/4 cup dried onion
1/2 cup dried carrots
1 can spam
1/4 cup bacon, precooked
1 tsp thyme
3 bay leaves
2 tbs olive oil
¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper
- Dice Spam into 1 cm cubes, and fry in soup pot with oil. Start at low heat, to render some of the grease from the Spam so it doesn’t stick.
- Add dried vegetables and toss
- Add split peas and toss
- Add herbs and 2 1/2 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for an 1 hour
- Add the bacon, crumbled, and simmer for another half hour.
- Add more water if it looks too thick and salt & pepper to taste.