Sian and Yajaira heat up the hab with a spicy Cajun Style Spam Jambalaya submitted the HI-SEAS recipe contest by James Harris.
- 1 can Spam, diced
- 1c rehydrated celery
- 1c rehydrated bell peppers
- 2 c brown rice
- ½ c chopped sundried tomatoes
- 2 c rehydrated onion + 2 tbs minced garlic
- 4 c chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red chili pepper
- 3 tbsp granulated garlic
- 5 tbsp hot sauce to taste
Mix pepper, garlic, and hot sauce for 24-48 hrs. in a warm location to form paste. Do not heat hot sauce to decrease time.
- Rehydrate onion, celery, and bell peppers.
- Over med. heat sauté Spam in 2 tbsp of olive oil using 10″ warmed non-stick pan or wok.
- Add re-hydrated vegetables and continue to saute until onions and peppers begin to brown slightly and almost all liquid evaporates. Add paste to desired taste.
- Add brown rice and sauté until all remaining water is absorbed.
- Add 3/4 of chicken broth and bring to boil. Transfer to a pan for the oven. Cover tightly (Al foil will work if lacking a lid for pan) transfer to 325 oven for ~45 mins. or until most of broth has incorporated.
- Stir and add remaining broth, re-cover and cook until rice is done to taste, time will vary due to altitude/ambient temps. May need to add additional water.
- Uncover and allow to brown on top slightly (~5mins).
- Serve hot with salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste, with a crusty bread and sweet vegetable like buttered carrots.