Sian is flying solo and sizzling up the hab with a chicken and spinach enchilada soup submitted to the HI-SEAS recipe contest by Karin Shank.
- 4 c chicken broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 c dehydrated spinach
- 2 Tbsp. freeze-dried jalapeno
- 1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp. dried onion
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. primero chili pepper
- 1 c. masa flour + 4 c. water
- 3 c rehydrated chicken
- 16 oz. Velveeta, cubed
- ¼ c olive oil
- Sauté chicken and spices in olive oil.
- Add in chicken broth and spinach.
- Whisk masa into the water and add. Bring to a slow boil.
- Add Velveeta cubes and stir until Velveeta is melted. Reduce heat to a simmer and partly cover to prevent splattering of the soup as it bubbles.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as masa will settle to the bottom of the pot. The soup should now be thickened from the masa and creamy with the Velveeta.
- Serve warm, garnished with paprika. This is a hearty and creamy soup, and freezes well.