Sian and Yajaira get together to make a breakfast brunch for the crew. They are making Spam ‘n egg baowich and Gunner’s martian pancakes. both of which were submitted to the HI-SEAS recipe contest. Here is what Don Chow said about his Spam ‘n egg baowich recipe:
Gotta have breakfast on the ship right? Do it Hawaiian-style! Forget the English muffins!
Ingredients: (Baowich Buns)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup water (room temperature)
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp milk powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
Spam and Egg filling:
- 1 can of Spam
- 12 scrambled eggs (1 1/3 c egg crystals + 2 cups water)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ c DH Colby cheese + 1 c water – ½ c reclaimed
- ½ tbsp Crisco
- Heat an oven set to 350 F for a few minutes (3-5 minutes). Turn the heat off and switch the oven light on. We are creating a warm space in which to raise dough.
- Using a bread maker, add wet liquids then dry ingredients and set the bread maker on dough. Remove dough after it is done mixing.
- Lightly oil another medium size bowl. Put the dough in to it. And, cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Place the bowl in the warmed oven and let the dough rise until it doubles in size (about 90 minutes).
- On a lightly oiled work surface take ½ c of dough and roll into small elongated buns.
- Allow the buns to rest for another 30 minutes.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake buns for ~ 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with Spam and egg filling.
Directions (Spam and Egg filling):
- Fill lightly greased muffin cups with Crisco and add about ¾ full with whisked eggs, salt & pepper, and top with colby cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Set aside.
- Open a can of Spam and slice into ¼ inch thick slices.
- In a lightly greased pan, sauté spam slices until golden brown.
- Set aside.
Gunner’s martian pancakes was submitted by Sarah Rose. Here’s what Sara said about this recipe:
Gunner’s dad says they have to limit his pancake consumption, he loves them so much. Gunner says “They taste good.” This recipe was developed in order to reduce the number of dirty dishes created during the preparation of Martian pancakes.
Ingredients: (Gunner’s Pancakes)
- 1 c water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 c flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp milk powder
- 2 tbsp dried egg powder
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Melt butter.
- Whisk water, butter, and vinegar together.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Whisk dry ingredients into liquid until smooth.
- Cook using standard flapjack technique on greased pan over medium heat.
- For an added treat, add in chocolate chips or Guava jam.
- Top with pancake syrup. Gunner says these are buttery enough.