Sian and Angelo get together to make a tasty bean soup. They then bring in Yajaira to finish the dish with delicious herb biscuits. This recipe was submitted to the HI-SEAS recipe contest by Joan Peterson.
Ingredients (Bean Soup):
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz. dried large lima beans (or navy beans)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can SPAM-diced
- ½ cup rehydrated onion
- 1 cup rehydrated carrots
- ½ cup rehydrated celery
- ½ cup rehydrated bell peppers
- 1 cup bacon pieces
- ¼ cup potato flakes
- ¼ tsp Salt and pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp Hot sauce to taste
- In a large pot combine dry beans, baking soda, and water to cover by 2 inches.
- Put in a pressure cooker and for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit. (Do not drain beans)
- Sauté SPAM dices, dried onion, carrots, celery, bell peppers and bacon in olive oil.
- Add sauté mix to beans and simmer until beans are tender. * we used a pressure cooker
- Stir in potato flakes to thicken the soup.
- Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
Ingredients (Herb Biscuits):
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon dried herbs of choice- (rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil)
- 2/3 cup reconstituted dry milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
- In bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and herb mix
- In a separate bowl combine milk and vegetable.
- Add liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until ingredients are just moistened.
- Dough will be thick and sticky-not smooth.
- Use a teaspoon to form walnut sized scoops of batter and another spoon to scrape onto the baking sheet. Space approximately 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake until bottoms are golden brown-about 8 minutes. Serve warm.