Sian teams up with both Oleg and Yajaira to make a breakfast feast of lemon blueberry cornmeal pancakes and no-crust quiche muffins. Both recipes submitted to the HI-SEAS recipe contest.
Oleg made lemon blueberry cornmeal pancakes submitted by Diana Zeimen. The crew loves pancakes but this was a new twist on a familiar favorite.
- 3 c warm water
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp egg crystals (equal to 3 eggs)
- ½ c whole wheat flour
- ¾ c all-purpose flour
- 1 c cornmeal
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp lemon powder
- 3/4 c buttermilk powder
- 2 c freeze-dried blueberries
- Mix all dry ingredients and then water.
- Let stand 2-3 minutes to reconstitute blueberries.
- Add additional water or flour if necessary for the correct consistency.
- Pour about 1/2 c. batter per pancake into hot skillet.
- Turn when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
- Serve with honey or syrup.
Yajaira changed up our morning egg routine with no-crust quiche muffins submitted to the contest by Lisa Young.
- ¼ c rehydrated onion
- 1 c rehydrated spinach
- 1 c rehydrated broccoli
- 1 c rehydrated mushrooms
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- 1 c rehydrated cheddar cheese
- ½ c rehydrated milk powder
- 1 1/3 c egg crystals + 2 c water (equivalent to 12 eggs)
- In a pan with olive oil sauté onions, garlic, spinach, mushroom, and broccoli. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After using non-stick spray or Crisco on the muffin tin, place ~2 T sautéed veggie mix in each muffin cup (note: you can also add bacon bits).
- In a bowl mix the equivalent of 12 eggs and 1/2 c milk together. Then pour the batter into each muffin cup, leaving approximately 1 cm at the top of each muffin.
- Sprinkle approximately 1 tbs cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes (or until done) at 350 degrees F.
- Can be stored in refrigerator or freezer.