Dark Matter Cake with Stardust Frosting
Submitted by Aquilla Elfindale
I finally got a chance to cook with Oleg. It was Yajaira’s birthday giving us the perfect opportunity to celebrate with a cake. I knew it was the perfect choice when I read Aquilla’s description of her recipe.
This is a heavy dark chocolate cake with a light, almost ice-cream textured frosting.
Ingredients: Dark Matter Cake (serving size – 24 cupcakes)
- 3 cups hazelnut coffee
- 4 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ ttsp salt
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Mayo
Ingredients: Stardust Frosting
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
Oleg is known in the hab as the bread guy. He makes some amazing breads and Russian dishes so I was really excited to get baking with him. We had a great time. Both of us enjoy flavored coffee but this recipe threw us for a loop when it called for 1 ½ cups mayonnaise. But in the end, both we and the crew loved it!
- 3 cup hazelnut coffee lightly squeeze grounds to get most of the liquid and flavor out
- Mix in bowl flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
- Mix in hazelnut coffee
- Add vanilla extract and Mayo and mix until smooth
- Grease cupcake pan or cake pan with mayo or shortening
- Bake at 350 for 30min or until skewer come out clean.
- Whip coconut butter, oil, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla add until incorporated then whip in confectioners’ sugar
- Top cake icing then powder lightly with coco powder or dehydrated fruits.
Yajaira loved her birthday party and the cake. It was great being able to use a recipe contest submission to celebrate her big day.