Date: 04-21-13 Head cook/assistant cook: Yajaira/Sian
To celebrate our connection with Hawaii Yajaira and Sian made Martian Sweet-n-Sour Chicken-Cabbage Soup and Coconut Bread. It was amazing. Yajaira started with a German recipe for beef cabbage soup that was modified into a Hawaiian fusion using freeze-dried pineapples. They also substituted chicken for beef and added more dehydrated veggies. They then pimped up the flavor with a variety of spices. Yajaira decided to top off the meal with a coconut bread that they baked in the convection oven. The crew loved it so much that there weren’t any leftovers.
- ½ cup dehydrated tomato flakes
- ½ cup dehydrated bell peppers
- 1 cup dehydrated mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dehydrated diced cabbage
- ½ cup dehydrated diced onion
- 1 tsp. dehydrated minced garlic
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- ½ tsp. FD cilantro
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. beef-flavor instant bouillon
- 2.5 cups FD chicken (rehydrated with two cups of water)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1.5 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup FD pineapple
- 1.5 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rehydrate the veggies, except the cilantro and diced garlic, in a 1:2 ratio for 20 minutes (1 cup veggie to 2 cups water). Rehydrate chicken with 2 cups warm water for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in stock pan. Add rehydrated chicken, caraway seeds, and thyme. Stir for 4 minutes.
- Add all rehydrated vegetables with water and sauté. Add remaining spices and ingredients.
- Add 4 cups of water (to a good stock level).
- Adjust heat so mixture boils/simmer gently for 20-30 minutes.
Coconut bread: (Modified from http://www.marthastewart.com/348472/coconut-bread)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 reconstituted egg (use egg crystals)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk powder
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon coconut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and coconut milk powder. Add the reconstituted egg, vanilla, water and mix.
- Grease a 9 inch round pan with coconut butter. Put in the dough and bake until the bread is springy to touch.
- Add the coconut flakes and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.