Date: 04-21-13 Head cook/assistant cook: Yajaira/Sian
Today was a creative day. That means the assigned cooks can make anything they want using the shelf-stable ingredients from our pantry. Yajaira was the main cook and Sian the assistant. They immediately started to collaborate on both a lunch and dinner that would inspire the crew and connect to the Hawaiian and Asian Pacific cultures. For lunch they created a Thai Red Curry with Tofu & Jasmine Rice dish that the crew really enjoyed. It was accompanied with homemade raisin bread. It was so good that the crew is looking forward to testing out the green curry paste. Please leave us a comment if you make this meal at home or have recipe suggesting for us.
- 2 cups of dehydrated sliced potatoes
- 1 cup dehydrated carrots
- ½ cup dehydrated bell peppers
- ½ cup dehydrated onions
- 1 cup dehydrated broccoli
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1 tsp. FD cilantro
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. Primario chili pepper
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. diced ginger
- ½ tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- 8 tbsp. coconut milk powder
- 4 oz. of Thai red curry paste
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Add water and coconut milk powder to cooking pan and stir on medium heat. Stir in Thai red curry paste and 4 tbsp. brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 min.
- In a different cooking pan, add olive oil and add vegetables and garlic powder. Sauté for 10 minutes. Add vegetable mixture to the coconut milk/curry mixture.
- Add vegetable oil to the same pan and stir fry tofu. Add cumin, paprika, ginger, crushed red pepper, and chili powder for seasoning. Add tofu to the coconut milk/curry mixture.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve with Jasmine rice.